As many of my friends know I am a total makeup junky. Many of them want to know what basic make up items they should buy. First, makeup is not universal. There is not one magic product that will work for all skin types, colorings, ect. However, if there is one thing I do believe it is that a perfect base, or flawless skin is a good place to start. If you have great skin, you don’t need much and even if you don’t it is pretty easy to fake a glowing perfect complexion. My basic rules are consider your skin type, what your doing, and apply as little foundation as possible.
My 10 Make Up Commandments:
1. If you are blessed with near perfect skin, I wouldn’t use anything but concealer.
2. Foundation and tinted moisturizer serve only to neutralize redness, concealer is for just what it says concealing. I personally believe the best way to conceal is using the “Lisa Eldridge photo shop” method (for videos on this click here.) And always conceal dark circles under the eyes.
3. For events where you are being photographed, skip a foundation or tinted moisturizer with SPF as it can cause white face in photos.
4. Thick eyebrows make you look young, stop plucking those brows, and start filling them!
5. Some people can wear a ton of eye make up, some can’t. If you can’t- don’t. You really only need 3 colors and a Mac 217 to achieve a makeup artist perfect eye. Dark color in the crease. Light color in the inner corner.
6. Dark lip colors make lips looks smaller. Keep that in mind.
7. Everyone looks better with blush, pick the perfect shade and wear it to death.
8. Highlighter and a contour can make even the chubbiest cheeks look thin.
9. Powder keeps you looking matt, too much powder makes you look like a cake. Powder your t-zone lightly if you have oily skin.
10.Thick lashes are gorgeous. Learn to love a great mascara and an eyelash curler.
Below are some of my favorite products and what I can’t live without. Keep in mind I have pale skin and light eyes.
Concealer and Powder: Laura Mercier Undercover Pot ; Concealer Bush: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brush; Setting Brush: Real Techniques Setting Brush; Under Eye Concealer: Dior Hydra Life BB Eye Creme Highlighter: BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector; Tinted Moisturizer: Chantecaille Just Skin
Bronzer: Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder; Blush: Nars Orgasm; Brushes: Tom Ford Bronzer Brush: Nars Yachiyo, Real Techniques Blush Brush
Mascara: Maybelline The Rocket Eye Lash Curler: Shu Uemera; Brow Gel: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel Brow Pencil: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Eye Liner: Urban Decay 24-7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Creme in Zero and Whiskey Eye Shadow: Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow Incognito; Shadow Brush: Mac 217 Cream Shadow: Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze Shadow Base: Nars Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base